- The newsreel now consists of 3 types of pages: index pages, story pages, and
- Common features of all newsreel pages are:
- List of links at the top and bottom of the page, providing access
to other parts of ArseWeb.
- A search box enabling you to find newsreel stories between specified dates,
(optionally) containing specified keyword(s).
- Features specific to particular types of pages are listed below.
- Index pages
- These are:
- Latest news:
the main table on this page simply lists the latest stories added to
the database, regardless of the topic into which they were inserted.
- News Topics:
the main table on this page lists the news topics currently in use
in the database, together with the headline from the latest story
in that topic. Topics are listed in chronological order of these
- Story pages
- The main table (top left) displays the news story.
- At the top of this table you can find links to the FAQ for
the news topic in which the story was entered, and to the previous
story in that topic (if there was one).
- At the foot of this table you can find links to the next story
in the topic (if there has been one yet) and to the most recent story
in the topic, as well as another link to the FAQ.
- Below the story you'll find the search box, which gives you
the option to find stories in all topics, or in the current topic only.
- To the right of the story, there is a "story context" table. The idea
of this is to provide access to other stories from around the same
time as the current story.
- At the top of the "story context" table there is a list showing
the 5 previous stories and 5 following stories from the same news
topic. The current story is highlighted in yellow.
- Below that there is a list of the most recent stories in all
topics, at the time that the current story was entered.
- Search pages
- The main newsreel search page contains full instructions on using the search facility.
- On this page you have the additional option of specifying a single news topic
to search in, or to search all topics.
- Search results pages list the stories found (if any). Below that they're
the same as the main search page, allowing subsequent searches.
- If looking for something from (around) a specific date, try the Headlines archive, which is a chronological listing of all the entries from the "Recent events" section of the homepage, going back to 1997
- Please send any comments or questions about the NewsReel to Rupe at
- The format can be changed and I'll be very happy to make changes
that make using the newsreel easier (note that while the system is
pretty flexible, not everything will be
technically possible). But I can't do that if you
don't let me know.